Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Adventures in Baking


Recently I've tried a couple of new recipes that turned out to be a lot of fun. For our Young Women's Girls Camp in June, I made this Zebra Cake.

(Picture borrowed from bakingbites.com. Recipe at http://bakingbites.com/2008/07/zebra-cake/)

It's much easier than it looks, simple really, although it is a bit time consuming. I should know, I think I ended up making this cake 9 times in the course of about 2 weeks.
.
The first time I tried, I used an 8" round pan instead of the 9" round that the recipe called for. Big mistake. Luckily I'd placed a cookie sheet on the rack below the cake because the cake overflowed everywhere! It still tasted really good, but obviously the 8" pan just didn't work. Next I tried to use a white cake mix instead of the from-scratch recipe. That didn't work either--wrong consistency. We ended up making swirly cupckaes to use up all that batter. On my next attempt, things were looking promising. I used a 9" pan, the from-scratch recipe and the cake baked beautifully. I took it out of the oven and placed it on a rack to cool. When I returned maybe 30 minutes later, there was a giant crater in the middle of the cake. I hadn't baked it long enough. But finally, on my fourth try, the cake turned out just like the picture! Success!
.
Girls Camp this year had a jungle theme, and our ward was the zebra ward. So of course I had to make this cake for the girls. I figured I'd need six cakes (8 slices per cake) to feed everyone, so when all was said and done, I'd baked this cake 9 times. We ended up having one cake left over, but it was worth it. The cake was really yummy and everyone loved the stripes!
.
Next, for the 4th of July, I tried this Patriotic Poke Cake.

(Photo and recipe taken from http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/patriotic-poke-cake-52679.aspx)

My first "poke" cake. This cake was also a bit time consuming, but the finished project is impressive and it tasted really good. I used a white frosting instead of the cool whip to cover the cake. It turned out really well. Perfect for the patriotic holiday!

2 comments:

Michele said...

MMM that Zebra cake was sure tasty. I think it's about time to try it here at my house. I can't remember... did you frost it in chocolate?

The Redhead Riter said...

Yum. I miss eating cake since I am now allergic to all grain. Go figure! One more thing to overcome. *sigh*