Wednesday, March 18, 2009

It's Not Easy Being Green

I try to at least think about being more "green," I definitely think it's good to take care of our environment and be kind to the Earth. Sometimes it's just a lot harder than it sounds. But I am making efforts and I'm going to proudly share them here. Every little bit counts, right?

1. I bought a reusable shopping bag, and I've it used a few times, but right now it's sitting in my bedroom, not in my car where it should be, I'll work on that...
2. I now wash all my clothes in cold water only, and they seem to be just as clean.
3. My family participates in the city's recycling program.
4. At work I've been working on uploading reports to a shared site so we don't have to print them and pass them out, people can just look at them online.
5. I try to consolidate my errands and drive less.
6. I try to be good about unplugging appliances, chargers, etc. when they're not in use, although I need to keep working on that one.
7. I always turn off lights when I leave a room.
8. I just recycled 7 photos from an old calendar by framing them and hanging them in my room. They look great!
9. I've heard that you use less water running your car through a car wash than you do when washing it by hand, so I'm using car washes (okay, maybe that's just laziness).
10. For Christmas I requested (and got) a lunchbox and some plastic containers which I now use to tote my lunch instead of paper bags and plastic bags.
11. I just purchased a new bag made entirely from recycled plastic bags for an upcoming trip.

Small steps, I know, but I'm working on it!

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I really don't make much of an effort. I do recycle stuff, but I figure if the City of Logan is going to force us to pay I'm gettin' my money's worth (they raised rates and passed out recycle cans without letting us vote on it - raised quite the controversy). In my little 'revolt' spirit I don't rinse the plastic containers before putting them in the can.

And, along with plastic containers... If you reheat stuff you take for lunch consider using glass containers. The plastic ones can leave toxins in the food if you reheat in them.

Jess said...

I think that's awesome Melissa. I'm trying too! :)